Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Big on Small

Note: I have a few 1/2 baked blogs I'm working on. I'm at my childhood friend Robert's house. He has 3 young kids the same age as Jason's which make getting things done more 'interesting'. Until then, these words.
One advantage of coming back to Africa after a prolonged time away is a fresh perspective. Some things were the way they were because they were the way they were. Now I wonder why. I have not found the reason why, but I notice things none the less. Part of the way Africans live direct them into certain patterns. One pattern that I notice is a tendency towards small shops.

 During colonial times the many Indians (some from what is now Pakistan since it was all one territory then) came to Africa with encouragement from the British. By the time we got to Zambia most of them owned shops. These days many are moving to England and Canada. In downtown Nairobi those shops are now getting divided with an aisle down the middle and small shops on each side. If it were only happening there I would be inclined to believe that the landlords were pursuing maximum rent. Out in rural areas the shops are small too.

Sometimes it seems that the shops are small because they are built around the size of the metal roofing sheets. It is as if they said 'Sould we go bigger? Nah, 8 sheets are enough'. Most everyone builds without getting a loan. Merely saying small is all anyone can afford to build with cash seems a weak argument. I've asked a few people and they do say that rising capital is the reason. One guy said that the margins are small and only provide a living for a family but not enough to grow. I could believe that people don't trust employees with the till. Finally the argument that is probably closest to the truth...that if you had a big store you would have lots of relatives wanting money.


In Kigoma there was quiet a charming market that brought the word warrens to mind. It took up the whole block and was a maze of small shops. It is the main shopping experience in town. These pics are from along the way or in town.


Since writing the bit above I've got Zambia where stores actually seem bigger. Who knows.


.

No comments: