Saturday, August 17, 2013

Grass behind a wall




Against all expectations people continue to view this blog. I feel bad about that since I'm not updating anything.

I wrote this post more than a year ago and have done major as well as minor re-edits. At the end of my journey I had about 900 views. I think I'll post this this time in commemoration of passing the 1900 mark.  Mom and Dad are here in the states for a bit...I'd always assumed it was Mom checking in from Zambia but someone there is reading here. Welcome.

So I could blog. It was something I wanted to do but have been reluctant to do. My life now consists of doing handyman work and remodels. I get to meet interesting people and see how they live. It's humbling the trust strangers place in me, not only to do a good job but also to not steal or needlessly invade their privacy. Which brings me to my dilemma, is there a way to talk about people I meet and work for without embarrassing them or loosing their trust and business. If I were to blog about someone I'd have to take a point of view. Putting that down in black and white will not make everyone happy all the time. With only about one person viewing this blog a day world wide I'm probably safe especially since a number of you are in South Africa presumably looking for information on where the mine is sending you.

Still I think it's a valid question so if you read a name here it will be fictitious, if I mention a place, that won't be it.

Above is a picture that as the title of this entry indicates is grass that grew up behind wood siding on a wall. The bottom two clapboards had some rot in them so they were removed and replaced. This is what I found when I removed the clapboards.

I'll allow you to contemplate the greater meaning in life that can be found in consideration of this grass.
  • The determination to continue after making a wrong turn.
  • The tragedy that it never was green, it stayed useless and yellow its whole life, never photosynthesizing light.
  •   The way it clung to conventional patterns of life in face of failure.
  • How it endured frozen in time inside the wall after the parent plant was long gone.


No comments: