Saturday, July 30, 2011

Dr Livingstone I presume?

Dr Livingstone I presume? The famous words of Stanley upon finding Livingstone's camp. Today I stood on the spot where that famous meeting took place. I wasn't going to do a blog about that but someone let me get on a computer that had no anti-virus and the 3 blogs I had written on the palm are gone. I took a ride out there and a tour of the Livingstone museum. It is not so much a museum as a bunch of tables with copies of pictures from his biographies on them. There is also a pair of statues in concrete of the pair meeting, as well as some paintings made of the event. The tour then lead up to where the tree that they met under stood until 1927. Unfortunately the tree was dying so grafts were made of it and a monument was erected on the spot made of stone from Jericho. Today two trees grown from those grafts still survive.

This was still a pretty big trip for me since these guys are my Louis and Clark. I collect old 1st addition biographies of Livingstone (in case you were wondering what I really want for Christmas)  and have a shelf of books about these two.  In 1982 I got to see Livingstone's grave in Westminster Abby

The lake has receded some 400 yards in the intervening years. Today they were loading a boat that makes a 15hr journey to some islands out in the lake. I'm told it will hold 40 ton or 100 passengers. Close company would be the order of the day.



No comments: