Thursday, June 2, 2011

Initial impressions


Friends
Some of you asked how long this trip would take so here is a brief breakdown of each leg of the trip. I was up by 6am and to the airport by 10. There was a 2-3/4 hour wait then a 2 hour flight. A 3 hour layover and a 7-1/4 hour flight. Another 2 hour lay over and finally an 8 hour flight. Kenyan customs and immigration were simple, straightforward and fast.

Dan was front and center to meet me and I am at his place now. He has just moved into this apartment and has almost no furnishings. His boss in the US was concerned that he would be able to get paid, so he worked on smoothing out payroll before the immigration paperwork. I had reported to some of you that a work permit was $10,000, that is not quiet the case. That is what it costs when you get a lawyer involved to expedite the paperwork. The result is that Dan is getting paid but the company is adamant that he not work till his work permit is sorted.

The apartment is in a new complex with security on the front gate and on the building gate. He lives on the 4th floor which at this elevation I sort of felt in my chest whilst carrying my case up last night. It is a 3 bedroom 2 bath with nice tiles on the floor. The kitchen still needs a stove and fridge. I'm giving the bathrooms a 9. The master is all in the same room but the other has a sink and then a separate room for the shower and commode.

Which brings us to the shower. The water heater is built right into the shower head and has 3 settings. hot, warm and cold. The temperature can be further moderated by how much water flows since the heater can't keep up with the flow at high volume. Quiet frankly I am concerned by the type of thinking that thinks wiring 220 volts directly into the shower head is a good idea. Also the drain is in the corner of the room which is not the low spot. I'm suggesting a squeegee.

No comments: