Thursday, June 9, 2011

Laundry

The premise of travelling light is that eventually I will need to do laundry. If I take fewer clothes I will have to wash them more often but they will be vastly easier to carry. Yesterday was the first time I did laundry. Ever, as it turned out. Up till now I would have said I had done laundry hundreds of times. In reality I loaded a machine and let it do the work.



Every thing I know about washing clothes I learned from a machine. I'm not sure this is a good idea. What if the machine is just a poor copy of a much better human process? I don't think the process I used really makes for that good of reading. In the end my inner militant feminist was quiet angry with the man, and it was a man who designed the utility sink to have it's bottom at knee level. In reality most Kenyans wash their clothes this way and often actually from tubs sitting on the ground.

Once I was done that Kris Kristofferson song lyric
Then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes,
And found my cleanest dirty shirt
was starting to have a certain kind of appeal.

Update They came out and hooked up the high speed internet yesterday afternoon so no more waiting around the house.

No comments: